Resurrection Gates (Voskresenskiye Vorota)
Resurrection Gates (Voskresenskiye Vorota) Review
These gates, which formed part of the Kitai Gorod defensive wall, were named for the icon of the Resurrection of Christ that hangs above them. However, the gates are truly "resurrection" gates; they have been reconstructed many times since they were first built in 1534. In 1680 the gates were rebuilt and a chapel honoring the Iberian Virgin Mary was added. In 1931 they were destroyed by the Soviets. Stalin ordered their demolition partly so that tanks could easily make their way onto Red Square during parades. They were most recently rebuilt in 1994–95. Today the redbrick gates with the bright-green-and-blue chapel are truly a magnificent sight and a fitting entrance to Red Square. The bronze compass inlaid in the ground in front of the chapel marks Kilometer Zero on the Russian highway system.
- Address: Red Sq., Kremlin/Red Square, Moscow, 109012
- Phone: /
- Hours: Chapel daily 8 am–10 pm
- Subway: Ploshchad Revolutsii
- Location: Kremlin-Red Square