Fodor's Moscow & St. Petersburg
Mobile AppDownload Moscow - Fodor's Travel for FREE!
Lobnoye Mesto Review
The name of the strange, round, white-stone dais in front of St. Basil's Cathedral literally means "place of the brow," but it has come to mean "execution site," for it is next to the spot where public executions were once carried out. Built in 1534, the dais was used by the tsars as a podium for public speeches and the proclamation of imperial ukazy (decrees). When the heir apparent reached the age of 16, he was presented to the people from this platform.
- Address: Red Sq., Kremlin/Red Square, Moscow, 109012
- Subway: Ploshchad Revolutsii
- Location: Kremlin-Red Square
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just back from five days in St. Petersburg and I came home with a very different impression of Russia than when I started. I expecte... Read more
We just returned from three days in St. Petersburg on the St. Peterline's visa free ferry. In order to maximize our time, we hired a priv... Read more
Hi, I am traveling to Russin in October, and I am considering going to Germany or Austria as a side trip. Is this even possible?... Read more