- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Great Kremlin Palace (Bolshoi Kremlyovsky Dvorets)
Great Kremlin Palace (Bolshoi Kremlyovsky Dvorets) Review
The palace actually consists of a group of buildings. The main section is the newest, built between 1838 and 1849. Its 375-foot-long facade faces south, overlooking the Moskva River. This was for centuries the site of the palace of the grand dukes and tsars, but the immediate predecessor of the present building was badly damaged in the major fire of 1812. It's currently closed to the general public.
The other buildings of the Great Kremlin Palace include the 17th-century Terem (Tower Chamber), where the tsarina received visitors, and the 15th-century Granovitaya Palata (Palace of Facets). Both of these buildings are also closed to the public.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hello first of all I'd apreciate A LOT if someone can instruct me or advise me in the following things:
I'm going for and exchange to St. Petersburg, Russia in january and my dad is kind of nervous abou Read more
· News & Features
Already in the spotlight for the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics, Sochi, Russia, is also getting a swanky ... Read more
Earlier this summer, a a 19th Century royal palace in Russia's capital city of St.... Read more
Why not take that classic walking city tour to new heights with this new trend of rooftop tours?... Read more