Leo Tolstoy's Museum in Yasnaya Polyana
Leo Tolstoy's Museum in Yasnaya Polyana Review
You'll begin your tour of the great writer's estate in the upstairs dining room, where you're greeted by numerous portraits of the Tolstoy aristocratic dynasty. Under their eyes, Tolstoy held significant social discussions with his family and his many visitors. Next door is the study where Tolstoy wrote Anna Karenina and War and Peace at his father's Persian desk. Tolstoy seemed to prefer moving around his house to work on different books, however: another room downstairs was also used as a study. This is usually the last room on a visit to the main house. In November 1910, the writer's body lay here in state as some 5,000 mourners passed to pay their last respects.
The far wing of the building houses a literary museum dedicated to Tolstoy's writing career. Drawings and prints produced by Tolstoy's contemporaries, derived from the plots and characters of his novels, as well as Tolstoy's original manuscripts are displayed in the six halls. A path from the main house into the forest leads to Tolstoy's simple, unadorned grave. On the edge of a ravine in the Stary Zakaz forest, the site was a favorite place of Tolstoy's and is now a popular pilgrimage destination for wedding parties. The walk to the grave takes about 20 minutes.
The estate-turned-museum is run by Tolstoy's great-great-grandson Vladimir Tolstoy, who is striving to turn it into a major cultural center. A restaurant, Noble's Estate, serves Russian food cooked using recipes from Tolstoy's wife Sophia that include sour cabbage soup and cow tongue with horseradish. There's also a hotel on the grounds.
- Address: Near Tula, Yasnaya Polyana, 301214
- Phone: 487/517–6146; 487/247–6712
- Cost: 20R, foreign-language guided tours 2,400R (3,600R at weekends) for a group of up to 8 people. Lower prices apply for bigger groups. Tours run throughout the day, until 3:30 pm
- Hours: Tues.–Sun. 10–4; closed last Wed. of month
- Website: www.ypmuseum.ru
- Location: Leo Tolstoy's Museum in Yasnaya Polyana
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hello first of all I'd apreciate A LOT if someone can instruct me or advise me in the following things:
I'm going for and exchange to St. Petersburg, Russia in january and my dad is kind of nervous abou Read more
· News & Features
Already in the spotlight for the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics, Sochi, Russia, is also getting a swanky ... Read more
Earlier this summer, a a 19th Century royal palace in Russia's capital city of St.... Read more
Why not take that classic walking city tour to new heights with this new trend of rooftop tours?... Read more