Suzdal kremlin Review
The Suzdal kremlin, which may have first been built in the 10th century, sits on an earthen rampart, with the Kamenka River flowing around all but the east side (demarcated by ulitsa Lenina). The dominant monument in the kremlin (and indeed the town) is the mid-13th-century Sobor Rozhdestva Bogorodnitsy (Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin), topped by deep-blue cupolas festooned with golden stars.
Original limestone carvings can still be found on its corners and on its facade. Its exquisite bronze entry doors are the oldest such doors in Russia, having survived since the 13th century. Inside, the brilliant and colorful frescoes dating from the 1230s and 1630s are without compare.
The long, white, L-shaped three-story building that the cathedral towers over is the Archbishop's Chambers. Behind its broad windows you'll find the superb "cross chamber" (named for its shape), which is a large hall without any supporting pillars—the first hall of its type in all Russia. The kremlin also holds museums of antique books and art.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Russia Experience IExplore
- Resplendent Russia IExplore
- Russia: MiG 29 Flight Programs — $16,600 IExplore
- Legend of the Russian Czars — $4,995 IExplore
- Resplendent Russia — $8,695 IExplore
This is a series of Trip reports that I originally posted on Trip Advisor. Read more
Hello. Read more
What is a visa? Read more
· News & Features
Why not take that classic walking city tour to new heights with this new trend of rooftop tours?... Read more
Feeling that Olympics fever?... Read more
From Arkansas to Nicaragua, we've got our ear to the ground when it comes to the hottest new hotels.... Read more