Palácio Nacional de Queluz (Queluz National Palace)
Palácio Nacional de Queluz (Queluz National Palace) Review
This palace was inspired, in part, by the palace at Versailles. The salmon-pink rococo edifice was ordered as a royal summer residence by Dom Pedro III in 1747. Architect Mateus Vicente de Oliveira took five years to make the place habitable; Frenchman Jean-Baptiste Robillon spent 40 more executing a detailed Baroque plan that also comprised imported trees and statues, and azulejo-lined canals and fountains. You can tour the apartments and elegant staterooms, including the frescoed Music Salon, the Hall of Ambassadors, and the mirrored Throne Room with its crystal chandeliers and gilt trim. Some are now used for concerts and state visits, while the old kitchens have been converted into an ordinary café and a fancy restaurant with an imposing open fireplace and a vast oak table.
- Address: Largo do Palácio, Queluz, 2745-191 | Map It
- Phone: 214/343860
- Cost: €7, free Sun. until 2
- Hours: Palace: Wed.–Mon. 9–5 (last admission 4:30). Palace Gardens: May–Sept., Wed.–Mon.9–6 (last admission 5:30), Oct.–Apr., Wed.–Mon. 9–5. Closed Tues., Christmas, and New Year's Day, Easter Sun., and May 1
- Website: pnqueluz.imc-ip.pt
- Location: Queluz
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Lisbon April 2014
The background- Company sponsored trip so most was pre-arranged and planned for us, including:
Hotel -Pestana Palace
Flights- US Airways Atlanta to Philadelphia ; Philadelphia to Lisbon-same Read more
A big thank you to all who have contributed to the Azores forum. Read more
Hi, We are landing in Lisbon in end of May and flying back from Lisbon after 9 days.
I read lots of posts that cover lisbon and porto but we will be traveling with small kids.
We want to spend time in Libso Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more