Quinta da Regaleira
Quinta da Regaleira Review
A five-minute walk along the main road past the tourist office takes you to one of Sintra's most intriguing privately-owned mansions. Quinta da Regaleira was built in the early 20th century for a Brazilian mining magnate with a keen interest in freemasonry and the Knights Templar (who made their 11th-century headquarters on this site). The estate includes gardens where almost everything—statues, water features, grottoes, lookout towers—is linked to one or the other of his pet subjects. Spookiest of all is the 100-foot-deep Poço do Iniciático (Initiation Well)—an inverted underground "tower."
- Address: Rua Barbosa do Bocage 5, Sintra, 2710-567 | Map It
- Phone: 219/106656
- Cost: €5, guided tours (call ahead for tours in English) €10
- Hours: Apr.–Sept., 10–8 (last admission 7); Nov. and Dec., 10–5:30 (last admission 5); Oct., Feb., and Mar., 10–6:30 (last admission 6).
- Website: www.regaleira.pt
- Location: Sintra
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We spent the first half of October 2013 in Portugal. Read more
We are back from our annual trip to Europe. Read more
A friend just returned from France, and said they had to have a PIN to use their credit card to pay for hotel, etc. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more