Quinta da Regaleira
Quinta da Regaleira Review
A five-minute walk along the main road past the tourist office takes you to one of Sintra's most intriguing privately-owned mansions. Quinta da Regaleira was built in the early 20th century for a Brazilian mining magnate with a keen interest in freemasonry and the Knights Templar (who made their 11th-century headquarters on this site). The estate includes gardens where almost everything—statues, water features, grottoes, lookout towers—is linked to one or the other of his pet subjects. Spookiest of all is the 100-foot-deep Poço do Iniciático (Initiation Well)—an inverted underground "tower."
- Address: Rua Barbosa do Bocage 5, Sintra, 2710-567 | Map It
- Phone: 219/106656
- Cost: €5, guided tours (call ahead for tours in English) €10
- Hours: Apr.–Sept., 10–8 (last admission 7); Nov. and Dec., 10–5:30 (last admission 5); Oct., Feb., and Mar., 10–6:30 (last admission 6).
- Website: www.regaleira.pt
- Location: Sintra
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Historical Way and Fisherman's Trail
Great info on the web site. Read more
My film "From Flamenco to Fez” presents a 2 continent, 3 country trip to Spain, Morocco, and Portugal. Read more
Our flight out of Lisbon (going to Amsterdam and then onto Vancouver, Canada) has changed so that it now leaves at 5:00 am (on a Monday morning). Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more