Palácio Nacional da Pena
Palácio Nacional da Pena Review
The Disney-like Palácio Nacional da Pena is a glorious conglomeration of turrets and domes awash in pastels. In 1503 the Monastery of Nossa Senhora da Pena was constructed here, but fell into ruins after religious orders were expelled from Portugal in 1832. Seven years later the ruins were purchased by Maria II's consort, Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg. Inspired by the Bavarian castles of his homeland, Ferdinand commissioned a German architect, Baron Eschwege, to build the castle of his fantasies, in styles that range from Arabian to Victorian. Work was finished in 1885 when he was Fernando II. The surrounding park is filled with trees and flowers from every corner of the Portuguese empire. Portugal's last monarchs lived in the Pena Palace, the last of whom—Queen Amália—went into exile in England after the Republic was proclaimed on October 5, 1910. Inside is a rich, sometimes vulgar, and often bizarre collection of Victorian and Edwardian furniture, ornaments, and paintings. Placards explain each room.
A mini-train takes you from the park gate up to the palace. A path beyond an enormous statue (thought to be Baron Eschwege, cast as a medieval knight) on a nearby crag leads to the Cruz Alta, a 16th-century stone cross 1,782 feet above sea level, with stupendous views.
- Address: Estrada da Pena, Sintra | Map It
- Phone: 21/910–5340; 21/923–7300 advance booking
- Cost: Park €6 mid-Sept.–Mar., €8 Apr.–mid-Sept.; combined ticket for park and palace €8 mid-Sep.-Mar., €11 Apr-mid-Sep. Mini-train €1.50
- Hours: Mid-Sept.–Mar., daily 10–6 (last admission 5); Apr.–mid-Sept., daily 9:45–7 (last admission 6:15)
- Website: www.parquesdesintra.pt
- Location: Sintra
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Lisbon April 2014
The background- Company sponsored trip so most was pre-arranged and planned for us, including:
Hotel -Pestana Palace
Flights- US Airways Atlanta to Philadelphia ; Philadelphia to Lisbon-same Read more
A big thank you to all who have contributed to the Azores forum. Read more
Hi, We are landing in Lisbon in end of May and flying back from Lisbon after 9 days.
I read lots of posts that cover lisbon and porto but we will be traveling with small kids.
We want to spend time in Libso Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more