Porto Travel Guide
Portugal's second-largest city, with a population of roughly 250,000, considers itself the north's capital and, more contentiously, the country's economic center. Locals support this claim by quoting a typically down-to-earth maxim: "Coimbra sings, Braga prays, Lisbon shows off, and Porto works." There's poverty here, of course, primarily down by the river in the ragged older areas, parts of which are positively medieval. But in the shopping centers, the stately old stock exchange building, and the port-wine trade, Porto oozes confidence.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Porto restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Porto
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Porto Palacio on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $144+/Nt Save with Expedia, $58/night less
- 5-Star Sheraton Porto & Spa Fr $81+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $34/night less
- Vila Gale Porto in May: $94 & Up — $94 Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- 4-Star Eurostars Das Artes Fr $138+/Nt — $138 Save with Hotels.com, $7/night less
- Quality Inn Portus Cale in May: $68 & Up — $68 Save with Expedia, $10/night less
Many of the more than 16 companies with caves in Vila Nova de Gaia are still foreign owned. They include such well-known names as Sandeman, Osborne... Read more
There are many more than just eight reasons to visit Portugal at any given time, but with a sweep of rece... Read more
River cruising in Portugal's Douro River Valley—a delightful region comprised of old-world villages... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Portugal, Trip Report 21-30 April 2013
I am a widely traveled senior citizen (78), US born, now retired, and have visited all continents except Antarctica. Read more
We’ve been back a week from a really fantastic 5 week trip to Europe over the Christmas New Year period. Read more