- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A Quelha Review
The restaurants along or near Rua 31 de Janeiro may have river views, but they don't necessarily serve the best food. This friendly, ham-and-garlic-bedecked place—behind a service station off a square at the end of the main street—has no views, but the regional fare served on its wooden tables is fantastic. Regular dishes include cozido à portuguesa (a meat, bean, sausage, and vegetable stew), cabrito assado (roast kid) and tripas (tripe and beans). On weekends there's arroz de cabidela: chicken and rice in a rich gravy made from the animal's blood. If you're planning on having dinner, come around 7 pm, because it gets packed.
- Address: Rua da Olivença, Amarante, 4600-096
- Phone: 255/425786
- Location: Amarante
- No credit cards.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Historical Way and Fisherman's Trail
Great info on the web site. Read more
My film "From Flamenco to Fez” presents a 2 continent, 3 country trip to Spain, Morocco, and Portugal. Read more
I need advice on how to allocate our time outside Lisbon, in a season that may be rainy. Read more
· News & Features
Portugal's Porto region has earned a permanent spot on the list of top worldwide wine destinations, and ... Read more
There are many more than just eight reasons to visit Portugal at any given time, but with a sweep of rece... Read more
River cruising in Portugal's Douro River Valley—a delightful region comprised of old-world villages... Read more