- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mercado dos Lavradores (Farmers' Market)
Mercado dos Lavradores (Farmers' Market) Review
In the center patio of the farmers' market, women—sometimes in Madeira's native costume of a full, homespun skirt with yellow, red, and black vertical stripes and an embroidered white blouse—sell orchids, bird-of-paradise flowers (the emblem of Madeira), anthuriums, and other blooms. The bustling lower-level seafood market displays the day's catch. Note the rows of fierce-looking espada. Their huge, bulging eyes are caused by the fatal change in pressure between their deepwater habitat and sea level.
- Address: Largo dos Lavradores, Funchal, 9060-158
- Hours: Weekdays 7 am–8 pm, Sat. 7 am–2 pm
- Location: Funchal
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Historical Way and Fisherman's Trail
Great info on the web site. Read more
My film "From Flamenco to Fez” presents a 2 continent, 3 country trip to Spain, Morocco, and Portugal. Read more
I've done some searching and found great information so far and am looking for some final suggestions on my first trip to Europe.
I'm a 29 year old male and am looking for amazing nightlife Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more