- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Madeira Hotel Reviews
Madeira is famed for the quality of its hotels. The majority are four stars and above, with top-notch facilities. In Funchal, your options range from majestic old hotels on lavish estates to ultramodern high-rises with terraces that lap the sea. Simpler options also abound, including quiet pensões (pensions) and little albergarias (inns). Elsewhere on the island, hotels are similarly of a good standard. Consider also staying on a farm or rural bed-and-breakfast, usually in a remote part of the island. Known as Casas Rural (www.madeira-rural.com), these really only make sense if you’re traveling by car. Several low-key inns and bed-and-breakfasts also dot the island.
Some of the larger Madeiran hotels cater to package-tour operators, which offer relatively low prices and reserve huge blocks of rooms during peak holiday-travel periods. This may be one place where do-it-yourself travelers are better off going through an agency.
Browse Madeira Hotels
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's