- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Modern City
The 10 parallel rows of trees along the Avenida da Liberdade, which was laid out in 1879, make Lisbon's downtown axis a pleasant place to linger, despite the traffic. Beyond it is the city's central park, Parque Eduardo VII, and then modern Lisbon, stretching into residential suburbs with the occasional attraction. It could take three hours to do justice to the Gulbenkian alone—especially if you have lunch there; add another for walking; and perhaps a fifth for shopping and a coffee.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe