- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Torre de Belém
Torre de Belém Review
The openwork balconies and domed turrets of the fanciful Belém Tower make it perhaps the country's purest Manueline structure. It was built between 1514 and 1520 on what was an island in the middle of the Rio Tejo, to defend the port entrance, and dedicated to St. Vincent, the patron saint of Lisbon. Today the chalk-white tower stands near the north bank—evidence of the river's changing course. Cross the wood gangway and walk inside, not so much to see the plain interior but rather to climb the steps for a bird's-eye view of river and city.
- Address: Avenida Brasília, Belém, Lisbon, 1400-038 | Map It
- Phone: 21/3620034
- Cost: €5 (free Sun. to 2), €10 combination ticket includes Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, €13 includes Jerónimos and Palacio de Ajuda
- Hours: Oct.–Apr., Tues.–Sun. 10–5:30; May–Sept., Tues.–Sun. 10–6:30
- Website: www.torrebelem.pt
- Location: Belém
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Lisbon April 2014
The background- Company sponsored trip so most was pre-arranged and planned for us, including:
Hotel -Pestana Palace
Flights- US Airways Atlanta to Philadelphia ; Philadelphia to Lisbon-same Read more
A big thank you to all who have contributed to the Azores forum. Read more
Hi, We are landing in Lisbon in end of May and flying back from Lisbon after 9 days.
I read lots of posts that cover lisbon and porto but we will be traveling with small kids.
We want to spend time in Libso Read more
· News & Features
Lisbon is one of the coolest European capitals. ... Read more
A sleek, new hotel has arrived in Lisbon's oldest neighborhood, Alfama.... Read more
There are many more than just eight reasons to visit Portugal at any given time, but with a sweep of rece... Read more