Igreja de São Roque
Igreja de São Roque Review
Filippo Terzi, the architect who designed São Vicente on the outskirts of the Alfama, also designed this Renaissance church, at the Jesuits' behest. It was completed in 1574. Several side chapels contain statuary and art dating from the early 17th century. The last one on the left is the extraordinary 18th-century Capela de São João Baptista (Chapel of St. John the Baptist): built in Rome, decorated with mosaics that resemble oil paintings, the chapel was taken apart, shipped to Lisbon, and reassembled here in 1747. Adjoining the church, the Museu de Arte Sacra (Museum of Sacred Art) displays an engaging collection of rich clerical vestments and liturgical objects.
View deals in Lisbon for vacation packages, hotels, airfare, and more from our partners!More