The House of Spikes, an Italianate dwelling, was built in 1523 for Bras de Albuquerque, the son of Afonso, who became the viceroy of India and who conquered Goa and Malacca. It has a striking facade studded with pointed white stones in diamond shapes. The top two floors were destroyed in the 1755 earthquake, and restoration did not begin until the early 1980s. Since 2012 the building has housed the José Saramago Foundation, a cultural institute set up in memory of the
only Portuguese-language winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature.