- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cantinho da Paz
Cantinho da Paz Review
This place is on an alley off the Tram 28 route from Chiado to Estrela, but take a taxi if you're worried about getting lost. It's a joyful mom-and-pop establishment that specializes in the cuisine of Goa—otherwise surprisingly hard to find in Lisbon. The spicy veal balchão and ginger-and-cardamom-flavored xacuti are particularly rich examples of Goa's unique mix of Portuguese and Indian influences, but there are also tasty seafood dishes. English-speaking staff will guide you through the menu; they may suggest you split a main dish if you're not ravenous. Vegetarians note: you may have been spoiled for choice in Indian restaurants back home, but there are slim pickings here. The Fernandes family also now runs the swankier restaurant in the Casa de Goa community center on Calçada do Livramento in Lapa (21/393-0171), which is open daily.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $168 & up -- Portugal: 5-Star Lisbon Hotel thru Summer Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
we have spent 17 wonderful days on the islands Sao Miguel, Sao Jorge and Pico in the Azores (Portugal) and I would like to share my trip report with lots of photos with you.
Hope you enjoy:
Portugal, Trip Report 21-30 April 2013
I am a widely traveled senior citizen (78), US born, now retired, and have visited all continents except Antarctica. Read more
We have the possibility of going to either Lisbon or Seville for 4 days (in Januray!).
I haven't been to any of the two cities before.
Which one of the places would you recommend?
Thank you. Read more
· News & Features
There are many more than just eight reasons to visit Portugal at any given time, but with a sweep of rece... Read more
As the temperatures start to drop, our minds wander to winter escapes—whether that means hitting... Read more
Portugal is so hot right now.... Read more