- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Local celebs make regular pilgrimages to Olivier Costa's cozy yet sophisticated main restaurant (he has two others) to revel in his signature starters. It's not a place for experimentation—more high-class comfort food, so come hungry. Many diners go for the menu de degustação of nine starters, or a skimpier version with five. These might include salmon and scallop carpaccio, intense tomato soup, linguini with parmesan and black truffles, or alheira game sausage in Portuguese cabbage with a quail's egg on top. The wine list is extravagantly large, and the kitchen stays open past midnight. Note that smoking is allowed in the whole dining area.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $168 & up -- Portugal: 5-Star Lisbon Hotel thru Summer Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
we have spent 17 wonderful days on the islands Sao Miguel, Sao Jorge and Pico in the Azores (Portugal) and I would like to share my trip report with lots of photos with you.
Hope you enjoy:
Portugal, Trip Report 21-30 April 2013
I am a widely traveled senior citizen (78), US born, now retired, and have visited all continents except Antarctica. Read more
We have the possibility of going to either Lisbon or Seville for 4 days (in Januray!).
I haven't been to any of the two cities before.
Which one of the places would you recommend?
Thank you. Read more
· News & Features
There are many more than just eight reasons to visit Portugal at any given time, but with a sweep of rece ... Read more
As the temperatures start to drop, our minds wander to winter escapes—whether that means hitting... Read more
Portugal is so hot right now.... Read more