Lisbon Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Spain 2014
Lisbon bears the mark of an incredible heritage with laid-back pride. Spread over seven hills north of the Rio Tejo (Tagus River) estuary, the city also presents a variety of faces to those who negotiate its switchback streets. In the oldest bairros (neighborhoods), stepped alleys are lined with pastel-color houses decked with laundry; here and there miradouros (vantage points) afford spectacular views. Eléctricos (trams) clank through the streets, and blue-and-white azulejos (and glazed ceramic tiles) adorn churches and fountains.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Lisbon restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Lisbon
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
Lisbon is one of the coolest European capitals.... Read more
A sleek, new hotel has arrived in Lisbon's oldest neighborhood, Alfama.... Read more
There are many more than just eight reasons to visit Portugal at any given time, but with a sweep of rece... Read more
· Travel Planner
Now57° F Partly Cloudy 77% Humidity Dec 11, 2013 at 4:30PM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We spent the first half of October 2013 in Portugal. Read more
We are back from our annual trip to Europe. Read more
A friend just returned from France, and said they had to have a PIN to use their credit card to pay for hotel, etc. Read more