Caldas da Rainha
Caldas da Rainha (Queen's Baths), the hub of a large farming area, is best known for its sulfur baths. In 1484 Queen Leonor, en route to Batalha, noticed people bathing in a malodorous pool. Having heard of the healing properties of the sulfurous water, the queen interrupted her journey for a soak and became convinced of the water's beneficial effects. She had a hospital built on the site and was reputedly so enthusiastic that she sold her jewels to help finance the project. There's a bronze statue of Leonor in front of the hospital, which continues to treat patients today for rheumatism and respiratory diseases.