- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hiking and Walking
Tromsø has more than 100 km (62 mi) of walking and hiking trails in the mountains above the city. They're reachable by funicular.
Lyngsfjord Adventure. This tour company offers dog sledding, reindeer sledding, snowmobile safaris, snowshoeing, northern lights viewing, and the chance to sleep in Sami tents. 77-71-55-88. www.lyngsfjord.com.
Svensby Tursenter. About one hour from Tromsø (including a 20-minute ferry crossing), Svensby Tursenter offers accommodation in small, self-service cabins at the foot of the Lyngen Alps. The company can arrange dogsledding, horsesledding, skikjøring (skiing behind a snowmobile), boat rentals, moonlight tours, northern lights safaris, and fjord fishing. 77-71-22-25. www.svensbytursenter.no/index_en.html.
Troms turistforening. The local trekking association organizes tours and courses, and also rents out overnight cabins. Kirkegt. 2, Tromsø, 9008. 77-68-51-75. troms.turistforeningen.no.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe