Banks are open weekdays 9 to 4. Many offices and embassies close at 3 from June to August. Stores are generally open weekdays 9 to 5 or 6 and Saturday 9 to 1 or 2 and are closed Sunday.
Major holidays include: New Year's Day, Holy (Maundy) Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Monday, May Day, Ascension (40 days after Easter), Whitsun/Pentacost (Sunday and Monday 10 days after Ascension), Constitution Day (17 May), Christmas Day, and Boxing Day (day after Christmas).
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe