Baroniet Rosendal Review
In 1658 a wealthy Norwegian heiress, Karen Mowat, wedded a Danish nobleman, Ludvig Rosenkrantz, and the two were given a farm at Hattberg, tucked away in a valley west of Folgefonna, as their wedding present. They built a castle on the land, and a few years later the king of Denmark and Norway at the time, Christian V, gave the estate status as a barony, the only one of its kind in Norway. The estate was bequeathed to the University of Oslo in 1927, and today the barony is a combined museum, theater, and gallery with its own bed-and-breakfast on the premises. The castle is in fact a small-ish mansion, decorated in a variety of styles spanning the barony's history over 250 years and surrounded by a rose garden and stunning scenery. In summer there are concerts, lectures, and performances in the mansion or the courtyard. In mid-July the Theatre Set-Up company from London performs Shakespeare plays in English.
- Address: Rosendal, 5486 | Map It
- Phone: 53–48–29–99
- Cost: NKr 75 off-season, NKr 100 in high season, concerts NKr 150–NKr 290
- Hours: Late June–mid-Aug., daily 10–5, guided tours every 30 mins; May–late June and mid-Aug.–early Sept., daily 11–3; guided tours every hr; early Sept.–late Sept., guided tours at noon only.
- Website: www.baroniet.no
- Location: The West Coast
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
It was never my intention to do this trip three years running. Read more
It has been a while since my last update and I’m still working on trip reports from Washington DC, Seoul in Korea, Bali in Indonesia and Courmayeur in Italy – but at the moment I have finished Read more
We are planning a driving trip in Norway and are wondering when the best time of year to go is. Read more
· News & Features
Norway's capital tops lots of lists, usually of "the world's most expensive cities." ... Read more
The promise of chilly temps tends to send us all indoors.... Read more
There's a new character in town.... Read more