The Folgefonna glacier straddles the mountain ridge between Rosendal and Sørfjorden. Folgefonna is actually a set of three glaciers, Nordfonna, Midtfonna, and Sørfonna. The latter is the third-largest glacier in Norway. Several hiking paths lead up to the glacier, but you should only attempt to hike on the glacier itself accompanied by a guide. Good footwear and wind- and waterproof clothing are essential, even on sunny days. The easiest way to get up close to the glacier is to drive up to the Folgefonn Sommarskisenter (Folgefonna Summer Ski Center) from Jondal, 31 km (19 mi) south of Utne. The drive from Jondal up to the glacier itself is spectacular though bumpy.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
It was never my intention to do this trip three years running. Read more
It has been a while since my last update and I’m still working on trip reports from Washington DC, Seoul in Korea, Bali in Indonesia and Courmayeur in Italy – but at the moment I have finished Read more
We are planning a driving trip in Norway and are wondering when the best time of year to go is. Read more
· News & Features
Norway's capital tops lots of lists, usually of "the world's most expensive cities." ... Read more
The promise of chilly temps tends to send us all indoors.... Read more
There's a new character in town.... Read more