Getting Here and Around
SAS has nonstop flights to Ålesund from Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim, and Stavanger. Low-cost airline Norwegian has also started a route between Oslo and Ålesund, with three flights daily during the week and on Sunday, and one flight on Saturday. Ålesund's Vigra Airport is 15 km (9 mi) from the center of town. It's a 25-minute ride from Vigra to town with Flybussen. Tickets cost NKr 80. Buses are scheduled according to flights—they leave the airport about 10 minutes after all arrivals and leave town about 60 or 70 minutes before each departure.
A catamaran runs between Ålesund and Molde at least twice daily. In addition to regular ferries to nearby islands, boats connect Ålesund with other points along the coast. Excursions by boat can be booked through the tourist office.
From Oslo to Ålesund it's 450 km (295 mi) on Route E6 to Dombås and then E136 through Åndalsnes to Ålesund. From Ålesund to Bergen the E39 is a 381-km (237-mi) drive. It's reasonably well maintained and open most of the year. It involves several ferry crossings and a few tollbooths.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe