Steep paths lead from Lofthus up to the westernmost part of the Hardangervidda plateau—they're breathtaking in both senses of the word, so leave time for resting your legs and taking pictures. One of the most beautiful routes is the Monk Steps trail, from Lofthus to Nosi, which leads to a viewpoint 950 meters (3,117 feet) over the fjord. Allow four hours for the return trip. Contact the local tourist office for tips and further hiking suggestions. Folgefonni Breførarlag offers guided tours on the Folgefonna glacier. 55–29–89–21 or 95–11–77–92. www.folgefonni-breforarlag.no.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe