This circular fortress with 16-foot-thick walls, on a promontory opposite Festningsgata, was completed in 1674. Its role has been much more decorative than defensive; it was used once, in 1807 during the Napoleonic Wars, to defend the city against British invasion. Now it contains art exhibits. However, the best part is walking around the grounds—the gates open early in the morning.
Østre Strandgt 52B, Kristiansand, 4610, Norway
/38–07–51–50-number is for Kristiansand municipality