Diving is excellent all along the coast—although Norwegian law requires all foreigners to dive with a certified Norwegian diver as a way of ensuring that wrecks are left undisturbed. If you just want to take a swim, plan a trip to local beaches such as Møllebukta and Madia, which are both deep inside the Hafrsfjord.
Solastranden. Sola's beach has 2⅓ km (1½ mi) of sandy beach ideal for windsurfing and beach volleyball. Other prime beach spots are Vaulen badeplass, Godalen badeplass, Viste Stranden, and Sande Stranden. The World Tour Beach Volleyball tournament is held downtown on a temporary beach volleyball court at the end of June.
The local swimming pool is Stavanger Svømmehall. Lars Hertervigsgt. 4, Stavanger, 4005. 51–50–74–51.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe