- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Engebret Café Review
This somber old-fashioned restaurant at Bankplassen was a haunt for bohemian literati at the turn of the 20th century and the building itself dates from the 17th century. The formal, French-tinged Norwegian dinner menu includes traditional seasonal fare around Juletide (Christmastime), including lutefisk and pinnekjøtt (sticks of meat), which is lamb steamed over branches of birch. For a real taste of Norway, try the smalahove (a whole sheep's head). Many Norwegian families consider it a treat to visit the restaurant around Christmas, so book early if that's your plan, too. During the rest of the year, try the reindeer in cream sauce or the poached catfish.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $749 & up -- 7-Night Northern Europe Cruise, R/T Amsterdam American Express Travel
we have spent magnificent 10 days on the Lofoten Islands last winter to enjoy the winter landscape and to see and photograph the northern lights once again.
I have posted a travelogue on my (non-commercial) Read more
My film “Vikings, Tivoli and Trolls” presents the highlights of Denmark, Sweden and Norway, starring Copenhagen’s colorful Nyhavn Canal, entertainment at the Tivoli amusement park; Stockholm’s Read more
My husband and I will be in Finland for two days in August, and would like to spend a week to 10 days in Norway. Read more
· News & Features
Norway's capital tops lots of lists, usually of "the world's most expensive cities."... Read more
The promise of chilly temps tends to send us all indoors.... Read more
There's a new character in town.... Read more