- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Akershus Festning og Slott (Akershus Fortress and Castle)
Akershus Festning og Slott (Akershus Fortress and Castle) Review
Dating to 1299, this stone medieval castle and royal residence was developed into a fortress armed with cannons by 1592. After that time, it withstood a number of sieges and then fell into decay. It was finally restored in 1899. Summer tours take you through its magnificent halls, the castle church, the royal mausoleum, reception rooms, and banqueting halls. Explore Akershus Fortress on your own with the Fortress Trail Map, which you can pick up at the visitor center or download at www.forsvarsbygg.no/ftp/verneplaner/Akershus_eng%20HQ%20visning.pdf. Note that the castle is closed during official visits, which happen a couple weekends a year.
- Address: Akershus festning, Sentrum, Oslo, 0015 | Map It
- Phone: 23–09–35–53
- Cost: Fortress grounds and concerts: free. Castle: NKr 70, including audio guide
- Hours: Sept.–Apr., weekends noon–5; May–Aug., Mon.–Sat. 10–4, Sun. noon–4.
- Website: www.forsvarsbygg.no/festningene/Festningene/Akershus-festning
- Location: Oslo
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
During my planning phase, many Fodorites were very helpful and encouraging, as always! Read more
We just got back from Tromso after 8 wonderful days of chasing the lights. Read more
Hi everyone. Read more
· News & Features
Norway's capital tops lots of lists, usually of "the world's most expensive cities." ... Read more
The promise of chilly temps tends to send us all indoors.... Read more
There's a new character in town.... Read more