Top Reasons to Go to Norway
Explore Norway's Fjords. The Norwegian fjords are known for their majestic beauty, and should top your agenda. From the spring cherry tree blossoms in Hardangerfjord to the rugged scenery and barren cliffs of windswept Lysefjord, no two fjords are the same. Geirangerfjord, the most photographed, and Sognefjord, the longest and deepest, are possibly the most popular, but some of the smaller fjords are just as stunning, so make sure you include a few different ones on your itinerary.
Enjoy the Great Outdoors. Get close to nature. Whether you fancy hiking in the Hardangervidda or Jotunheimen, skiing in one of Northern Europe's best resorts, sailing along the southern coast or fishing in some of the world's best salmon rivers, the choice is yours. Wildlife is plentiful, too, so if you can't see the elusive moose, you're guaranteed to spot other mammals and birds.
Catch the Midnight Sun. Seeking 24-hour sunlight? Travel north of the Arctic Circle in summer, where the sun never drops below the horizon, to experience this unique phenomenon, and make the most of the longest days of the year. Or go between November and February to witness the awe-inspiring spectacle of the Northern Lights brightening up the dark winter sky.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe