Rondane National Park
Rounded, harmonious mountains distinguish Rondane National Park, Norway's oldest, as you travel north from Vinstra on Route E6. A good point of entry to the park is the resort of Høvringen, off Route E6. For thousands of years the area has given hunters their livelihood, and they've left their mark in the form of reindeer traps and burial mounds. Today Rondane is a popular recreation area, attracting hikers and skiers. Ten of the peaks rise more than 6,500 feet. Norwegian artist Harald Sohlberg (1869–1935) immortalized the Rondane mountains in his painting Vinternatt i Rondane, which was declared Norway's national painting in 1995 and hangs in the National Gallery in Oslo.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe