The mountains in the area are nicknamed the Scandinavian Alps, and Hemsedal has some of Norway's most stunning high-mountain scenery: you can see mountains and glaciers, numerous lakes, four rivers, as well as fjords and cascading waterfalls. It's the country's most popular skiing town, where Norway's top skiers and snowboarders live and train. The Maifestivalen (May Festival), which takes place on the first weekend of May, marks the end of the ski season; it's a well-attended event. In the summer months you can hike, play golf, and go fishing.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
It was never my intention to do this trip three years running. Read more
It has been a while since my last update and I’m still working on trip reports from Washington DC, Seoul in Korea, Bali in Indonesia and Courmayeur in Italy – but at the moment I have finished Read more
We are planning a driving trip in Norway and are wondering when the best time of year to go is. Read more
· News & Features
Norway's capital tops lots of lists, usually of "the world's most expensive cities." ... Read more
The promise of chilly temps tends to send us all indoors.... Read more
There's a new character in town.... Read more