More than a million visitors a year head to the slopes and cross-country trails of this alpeby (Alpine town) halfway between Oslo and Bergen. Many people ski directly from their hotel or cabin doors. Plan ahead if you want to visit at Easter, since Norwegians flock here for a final ski weekend. The summer season, beginning in June, has such activities as guided mountain walks, horseback riding, and fishing.
Elsewhere in Central Norway
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe