- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Lyric Theatre Review
One of Northern Ireland's most prized cultural organizations, the Lyric, presents a diverse repertory of classical, popular, and contemporary drama. With its angular brick bulk topped by three distinctive sloping roofs, the theater, completed in 2011, is an impressive modernist achievement. To fund it a total of £18 million was raised with money from local companies as well as the Lyric's famed patron Liam Neeson, who made his 1976 stage debut in Brian Friel's Philadelphia, Here I Come! Strong emphasis is placed on the use of natural light, with a glass-walled Long Hall running the length of the first floor and looking out over the River Lagan. The main auditorium is lined with iroko wood and has 33 different styles of brick, all specially fired so each one is complete and uncut. In addition to the main 390-seat venue, presided over by the Northern Bank Stage, there is the Naughton Studios, a theater space that can hold up to 125 people.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We encountered the "chip & pin only" situation in a phone store near Brown Thomas in Dublin. Read more
We are visiting Ireland and Scotland for about 8 days each in May 2014. Read more