- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's European Cruise Ports of Call
Portstewart Strand Review
Portstewart Strand is signposted as "The Strand" at all major junctions in town. The magnificent 2 miles of golden sand is one of the north coast's finest beaches suitable for all ages. Owned by the National Trust, well maintained and clean, it's the ideal spot for picnics, swimming, or long walks into sand dunes that are a haven for wildflowers and butterflies. Lifeguards are on duty from June to August. The beach has an undertow at certain points and small sections have seaweed, but it's not a big nuisance. Two-hour guided walks are held on Saturday during the summer. On hot summer days the beach fills with cars, but its size ensures that it is never completely crowded. To cool down take the delightful 20-minute walk along the cliff-top path into Portstewart for an ice-cream sundae at the famed Morelli's shop along the promenade. Amenities: car park, changing rooms, toilets, outdoor shower, lifeguards, shop, café. Best for: swimming, sunbathing, snorkeling, windsurfing, kite-surfing, walks, sand dunes.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Below is my trip report of our trip in Sept/Oct 2013. Read more
For those not reading the long report ("Ireland with a Northern Twist"), here's a "visual" trip report--a link to the pix:
share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2QctG7hu0ZMXC Read more
Wow, two month from yesterday and we will be in Ireland. Read more