- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's European Cruise Ports of Call
Culloden Estate & Spa
At a Glance
- building oozes character and personality
- top-class service
- suites are just big rooms and don't measure up
- the restaurant can be stuffy
- massages, manicures, and vintage champagne don't come cheap
Check Rates from our Partners
Culloden Estate & Spa Review
This imposingly grand vision in Belfast stone presides over the forested slopes of the Holywood hills and the busy waters of Belfast Lough—antiques and silk-and-velvet fabrics grace guest rooms both in the original section and in a newer wing; all rooms have fine views. Topped off with a storybook turret and crenellated tower, the Scottish Baronial mansion, built in 1876, was greatly enlarged in the early 20th century when it was given as a residence to the Bishops of Down. In the 1960s it was transformed into a hotel. At mealtimes choose from the posh Mitre restaurant and the Cultra Inn, which serves snacks and full meals, or you can have lunches and afternoon tea in the elegant Crozier Lounge, redesigned in 2013 with a glass-fronted conservatory. The 19 executive rooms are fitted out with burgundy, gold, and purple bedding. The hotel is close to both the village of Holywood (temptingly filled with boutiques and tearooms) and the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum. Or spend the afternoon at the hotel spa, a glamorous Beverly Hills–type affair.
- Address: 142 Bangor Rd., 8 km (5 miles)east of Belfast on A2 Holywood, Co. Down BT18 0EX | Map It
- Phone: 028/9042–1066
- Website: www.hastingshotels.com/culloden-estate-and-spa
- Location: Belfast
- 105 rooms, 22 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast, some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Below is my trip report of our trip in Sept/Oct 2013. Read more
For those not reading the long report ("Ireland with a Northern Twist"), here's a "visual" trip report--a link to the pix:
share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2QctG7hu0ZMXC Read more
My husband and I have booked a 7-night trip to Ireland in mid-June, where we plan to pick up a rental car in Dublin and embark on a driving tour. Read more