- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Direct trains leave Amsterdam Centraal Station for Rotterdam as often as six times an hour throughout the day, and hourly through the night—the journey time is around one hour. If driving, take the A10, A4, and A13 freeways south from Amsterdam. The drive will take about one hour, depending on traffic.
Because the different areas of Rotterdam are fairly spread out, to get between them you may want to make use of the efficient public transport network (taxis are expensive). Buses and trams fan out across the city above ground, while four underground Metro (subway) lines—one north-south, three east-west—offer an even faster way of getting about. All intersect at Beurs station in the city center for easy transfers. A fifth overground Metro line runs from Hofplein (east of the main train station) to The Hague, but this is of less interest to visitors as the main line trains are a much faster means of making the journey. To use the network you'll need an OV-chipkaart (public transport chip card). These credit card-size tickets can be loaded up with credit from machines in the railway and metro stations, and are debited as you board and leave trains, trams, metros, and buses. There are information and sales points in the Beurs and Centraal Station metro stations, as well as in the main bus station. Or visit www.ov-chipkaart.nl for more information.
Taxis are available at railway stations, major hotels, and at taxi stands in key locations. You can also order one by phone, but they cannot be hailed in the street. Expect to pay at least €40 for a 30-minute journey between Rotterdam and Delft.
Public Transportation Information (0900/9292. www.9292ov.nl.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $2999 -- Croatia: 8-Night Escorted Trip w/Roundtrip Airfare Friendly Planet Travel
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- Regal Central Europe IExplore
- $1336 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Ritz-Carlton Escape w/Air — $1,336 Sceptre Tours