- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Duivelshuis (Devil's House)
Duivelshuis (Devil's House) Review
Dutch hellfire-and-brimstone painter Hieronymus Bosch could have had a field day with this one: lurking around one side of the Grote Kerk is the 16th-century Stadhuis, or Duivelshuis, which, strangely enough, suffered no damage whatsoever during World War II. The demonic sculptures on the building's facade were carved by order of General Maarten van Rossum, allegedly as payback for the city fathers' refusal to allow him to pave the front steps of his town hall with gold. The building has been part of the city hall since 1830—the remainder of that establishment is the ugly concrete monstrosity right behind.
- Address: Koningstraat 38, Arnhem, 6811 DG
- Location: Arnhem
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I'm a little late in getting to it - our trip was in April 2013 - but I would like to share my trip report for all the wonderful Fodorites who helped in the planning (Thank You, Thank You!!), for all future Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
The internet is flush with tales of the mosquitos in Amsterdam, particularly near the canals. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more