Stadhuismuseum De Vierschaar
Stadhuismuseum De Vierschaar Review
Veere's Gothic Stadhuis (Town Hall), built of sandstone and begun in 1474, has a fairy-tale facade that harks back to the town's glory days. It is decorated with statues commemorating Veere's former lords and ladies, notably members of the Van Borselen family. The extraordinary building—among the Netherlands' most impressive—also has a minaret-style Renaissance tower, added in 1599, that contains a 48-bell carillon. The whole thing seems unexpectedly grand for the sleepy village of today. Inside is one of the country's oldest formal audience chambers, resplendent with portraits and Gobelin tapestries and displaying a silver goblet given to Count Maximilian of Burgundy in 1546 by Emperor Charles V, who left it as a gift when he came to inspect the town cistern.