- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Vredespaleis (Peace Palace)
Vredespaleis (Peace Palace) Review
Facing the world across a broad lawn, this building houses the International Court of Justice plus a 500,000-volume law library. The court was initiated in 1899 by Czar Nicolas II of Russia, who invited 26 nations to meet in The Hague to set up a permanent world court of arbitration. The current building was constructed in 1903 with a $1.5 million gift from Scottish-American industrialist Andrew Carnegie. Built in Flemish style, its red-and-gray granite-and-brick pile has become a local landmark. Gifts from the participating nations embellish the interior and include statuary, stained-glass windows, doors, and clocks. Comparatively few litigations are heard here these days, although some still make headlines, such as the famous trial of Slobodan Milosevic.
A visitor center at the entrance gate provides a brief introduction to the workings of the palace and its exhibits. Free audioguides in English are provided.
- Address: Carnegieplein 2, The Hague, 2517 KJ | Map It
- Phone: 070/302–4242
- Cost: Visitor center: free. Tours: €8.50
- Hours: Visitor center: Mar.–Oct., daily 10–5; Nov.–Feb., daily 10–4. Hours for guided tours when court is not in session vary.
- Website: www.vredespaleis.nl
- Location: The Hague
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Lots of people go to Amsterdam, and I did too, but from Rotterdam, by bike. Read more
On Thursday we hired to fluisterboten (whisper boats) and had a lovely time exploring the Weerribben National Park in Overijssel from the water. Read more
We will be traveling to The Netherlands in mid September next year and will have a week there before moving on. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more