Facing the world across a broad lawn, this building houses the International Court of Justice plus a 500,000-volume law library. The court was initiated in 1899 by Czar Nicolas II of Russia, who invited 26 nations to meet in The Hague to set up a permanent world court of arbitration. The current building was constructed in 1903 with a $1.5 million gift from Scottish-American industrialist Andrew Carnegie. Built in Flemish style, its red-and-gray granite-and-brick pile
has become a local landmark. Gifts from the participating nations embellish the interior and include statuary, stained-glass windows, doors, and clocks. Comparatively few litigations are heard here these days, although some still make headlines, such as the famous trial of Slobodan Milosevic.
A visitor center at the entrance gate provides a brief introduction to the workings of the palace and its exhibits. Free audioguides in English are provided.
Carnegieplein 2, The Hague, 2517 KJ, Netherlands