This is a bustling little town without the full-on folkloric ex-fishing-village effect of its neighbors Marken and Volendam, but no less charming for that. Now a yachting base with an interesting mix of old and new and swanky vessels in the harbor, there are some good restaurants, a boutique hotel, and (not only tourist-kitsch) shopping opportunities. Its landmark is the Speeltoren with its famed carillon sporting (on the hour) galloping knights.
Monnickendam at a Glance
Elsewhere in Day Trips from Amsterdam
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $94 -- Amsterdam: 4-Star Hotel thru Summer, 40% Off Novotel Amsterdam City
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line