This is a bustling little town without the full-on folkloric ex-fishing-village effect of its neighbors Marken and Volendam, but no less charming for that. Now a yachting base with an interesting mix of old and new and swanky vessels in the harbor, there are some good restaurants, a boutique hotel, and (not only tourist-kitsch) shopping opportunities. Its landmark is the Speeltoren with its famed carillon sporting (on the hour) galloping knights.
Monnickendam at a Glance
Elsewhere in Day Trips from Amsterdam
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's