Getting Here and Around
It is a bit of a trek (2½ hours) from Amsterdam, and there are a number of ways to go. The most straightforward route is to head for Rotterdam Zuid on the train. From there, take the metro to Rotterdam Zuidplein, then the No. 190 bus to Alblasserdam. By car, Kinderdijk is 20 km (12½ miles) from Rotterdam. Follow directions to Rotterdam, then take the A15 to exit 22. There are (small) car parks by the mills. Waterbus (www.waterbus.nl) runs a fast ferry service from the Erasmusbrug in Rotterdam to Ridderkerk, and then you change onto another ferry to pop across to Kinderdijk. Ferries are every half hour and the trip takes about half an hour. Other tour boats are available from Rotterdam, and there is also (a pricey) water taxi.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe