Now housed in an eye-popping, proto-futuristic waterfront structure designed by Viennese architects Delugan Meissl, the former Filmmuseum at Vondelpark not only relocated in the Spring of 2012 to their ambitious brand-new building but also changed its name in the process. While this cutting-edge museum moved to north Amsterdam and its cutting-edge neighborhood of Overhoeks, they have also made access easier then ever, thanks to a free ferry that now connects in a two-minute ride with Amsterdam Central Station. Along with restoring thousands of films (Martin Scorsese used footage from Georges Méliès films restored here in his film Hugo), the institute has finally brushed off its somewhat dusty image with this state-of-the-art film center. The EYE contains four massive screening rooms (showing a fine mix of classic and contemporary films), a large exhibition space, and a library open to the public. There is also a restaurant with a waterfront terrace.
IJpromenade 1, Amsterdam, North Holland, 1031 KT, Netherlands
020-589–1400-(Info and tickets); 020-589–1402-(Restaurant)
Performing Art Details: