- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Restaurant Vermeer Review
With its milk-white walls, dramatic black-and-white patterned floors, Delft plates, fireplace hearths, and old chandeliers, this stately place does conjure up the amber canvases of the great Johannes. Its superposh vibe, however, suggests that no milkmaid will be able to afford the prices here, set within the 17th-century wing of the NH Barbizon Palace Hotel. The way chef Christopher Naylor combines tastes, textures, and temperatures is masterful, may it be sea bass poached in buttermilk with white asparagus, sweet and sour grapefruit, and ginger cream, or lamb with nettles, chicory, and pistachio. And for €110 you can get the full nine-course roller coaster of dishes, or four courses for €80 and five courses for €95. An army of waitstaff is on hand to ensure that the service is always impeccable.
- Address: NH Barbizon Palace Hotel, Prins Hendrikkade 59–72, Red Light District, Amsterdam, 1012 AD | Map It
- Phone: 020/556–4885
- Website: www.restaurantvermeer.nl
- Location: Old City Center
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed Sun. Closed first wk of Jan. and one month in summer.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Lots of people go to Amsterdam, and I did too, but from Rotterdam, by bike. Read more
On Thursday we hired to fluisterboten (whisper boats) and had a lovely time exploring the Weerribben National Park in Overijssel from the water. Read more
My husband and I planning our trip to Europe in April for 15 days, Our three main Countries is Tuscany, France, Amsterdam. Read more
· News & Features
Amsterdam has an incredible past, enticing sights, and tasty cuisine.... Read more
The Netherlands' charming capital city has a bit of everything—bikes and bars, cafes and canals,... Read more
From romantic, three-course meals to carefully crafted cocktails, Amsterdam's best canal cruises go above... Read more