Built in 1488, the Waag functioned as a city gate, Sint Antoniespoort, until 1617. It would be closed at exactly 9:30 pm to keep out not only bandits but also the poor and diseased who built shantytowns outside the city's walls. When Amsterdam expanded, it began a second life as a weighing house for incoming goods. The top floor of the building accommodated the municipal militia and several guilds, including the stonemasons who did the evocative decorations that grace
each of the seven towers' entrances. One housed a teaching hospital for the Surgeons' Guild. The Theatrum Anatomicum (Anatomy Theater), with its cupola tower covered in painted coats of arms, was the first place in the Netherlands to host public autopsies. For obvious reasons, these took place only in the winter. Now the building is occupied by a café-restaurant and the Waag Society (a.k.a. the Society for Old and New Media).
Bounded by Kloveniersburgwal, Geldersekade, and Zeedijk, Amsterdam, 1012 CR, Netherlands