- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sandton Hotel de Filosoof
At a Glance
- off-the-wall interior
- cozy and comfortable public areas
- lovely garden
- quiet location
- the hotel can be hard to find
- some newer rooms lack the charm of others
Check Rates from our Partners
Sandton Hotel de Filosoof Review
The quirky Edwardian lobby with its comfy armchairs will capture your heart, as will the guest rooms decorated in philosophical themes—Greek style in the Aristotle room, Faustian texts in the Goethe room. The Spinoza is an homage to Golden Age style, complete with black-and-white floors, a 19th-century library lamp, and framed paintings. Enjoy breakfast, or merely relax, in the large garden, or order from a nearby restaurant and dine in the cozy lobby/lounge, also the setting for weekly lectures and discussions. The hotel has been taken over by the Sandton chain, but luckily this hasn't detracted from the charm and character; more suites are being installed in a house on the same street.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
I have just returned from a wonderful long weekend in Amsterdam. Read more
Need advice for my trip - 19 May - 3 June 2014.
Fly into Amsterdam and leave from Vienna.
Beginning at Amsterdam, my wife and I would like to travel by train and the 2 must visit place are Zermatt, Salszburgh. Read more
· News & Features
Amsterdam has an incredible past, enticing sights, and tasty cuisine. ... Read more
The Netherlands' charming capital city has a bit of everything—bikes and bars, cafes and canals,... Read more
From romantic, three-course meals to carefully crafted cocktails, Amsterdam's best canal cruises go above... Read more