This tower received its name in 1672, when French troops occupied much of the surrounding Republic, and Amsterdam was given the right to mint its own coins here for a brief two-year period. The spire was added by Hendrick de Keyser in 1620, and the weather vane on top in the shape of a gilded ox is a reference to the calves market close by: Kalverstraat. The guardhouse, which now houses a touristy Dutch porcelain shop, has a gable stone above its entrance, which portrays
two men and a dog in a boat. This is a symbolic representation of the city, where warrior and merchant bonded together by loyalty—that would be the dog—are sailing toward the future.
Muntplein, Amsterdam, 1012 WR, Netherlands