- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Westerkerk (Western Church)
Westerkerk (Western Church) Review
Built between 1620 and 1631 by (you guessed it) Hendrick de Keyser, the Dutch Renaissance–style Westerkerk was the largest Protestant church in the world until St. Paul's Cathedral in London was built in 1675. Its 85-meter tower, the tallest in the city, is topped by a gaudy copy of the crown of the Habsburg emperor Maximilian I, who gave Amsterdam the right to use his royal insignia in 1489 in gratitude for support given to the Austro-Burgundian princes.
The church is renowned for its organ and carillon (there are regular concerts). The carillon is played every Tuesday between noon and 1 by a real person (a carillonneur) but is automated at other times with different songs tinkling out on the quarter hour, day and night (it drives some locals nuts). Anne Frank described the tunes in her diary. Rembrandt, who lived on Rozengracht during his poverty-stricken last years, and his son, Titus, are buried (somewhere) here. Rembrandt's posthumous reputation inspired some very surreal television three centuries later, when a body was unearthed that was mistakenly thought to be his: while exposed to the glare of the news cameras, the skull turned to dust. The Westertoren (Westerkerk Tower) is a fun climb from April to the end of October.
- Address: Prinsengracht 281, (corner of Westermarkt) Centrum, Amsterdam, 1016 GW | Map It
- Phone: 020/624–7766
- Cost: Free for interior; €6 for Westertoren.
- Hours: Apr.-June, Mon.–Fri. 10–6 (Sat. 10–8); July and Aug., Mon.–Sat. 10–8; Sept. 10–6 (Sat. 10–8); Oct. Mon.–Fri. 10–4 (Sat. 10–6)
- Website: www.westerkerk.nl
- Location: Western Canal Ring
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I'm a little late in getting to it - our trip was in April 2013 - but I would like to share my trip report for all the wonderful Fodorites who helped in the planning (Thank You, Thank You!!), for all future Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
We are spending three days in Amsterdam, five in Rome, two in Florence and three days in Venice the first 2 weeks of May. Read more
· News & Features
Amsterdam has an incredible past, enticing sights, and tasty cuisine. ... Read more
The Netherlands' charming capital city has a bit of everything—bikes and bars, cafes and canals,... Read more
From romantic, three-course meals to carefully crafted cocktails, Amsterdam's best canal cruises go above... Read more