- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Montenegro Lines operates regular overnight car ferries year-round to the Montenegrin port of Bar, 38 km (24 miles) south of Budva, from Ancona and Bari in Italy. The Ancona-Bar crossing takes 16 hours; a one-way ticket (interior two-berth cabin with bathroom) costs around €105. The Bari-Bar crossing takes 10 hours and costs about €80 one-way (interior two-berth cabin with bathroom).
Arriving at Kotor from the water is an impressive experience in itself, so be sure to be up on the deck in advance. Your ship will sail up a 28-km (18-mile) long bay (often referred to as a fjord), with rugged mountains rising in the background. Cruise ships dock on the quay, immediately in front of Kotor's medieval walled Old Town.
Montenegro Lines (Beogradska 10, Podgorica, 81000. 020/405–591. www.montenegroairlines.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's